You are here
Free housing advice
We offer free advice and ways to help you resolve housing problems.
You can contact us if you are:
- homeless or threatened with homelessness
- unable to afford the cash deposit required by a landlord before you can move into a property - you may be able to use the North Tyneside Rent Deposit Scheme - this will give the landlord an underwritten guarantee or bond which will cover damage to the property after a tenancy has ended
- having difficulties with employment or your benefits
- a private tenant and need information about your legal rights
- a young person aged 16-25 and need advice about finding somewhere to live
We will interview you, investigate and assess your situation and provide advice and possible solutions. We also offer a mediation service to help resolve conflict at home and find an agreeable way forward for all involved. In some cases we may offer a temporary solution so that you can avoid becoming homeless.
We can also offer information about:
- the Homelessness Frontline Prevention Fund
- your welfare and employment rights and benefits - including housing benefits and tax credits, to make sure you receive your full entitlement
- the Sanctuary Scheme allowing people experiencing domestic abuse to continue living at home in safety - rather than move house to escape harassment
Independent housing advice
You can seek independent housing advice (Monday to Friday, 10am-4pm) from:
Citizen Advice Bureau
Telephone: 0344 245 1288
You can also get advice on benefits, debt and other issues from this telephone number.