You are here
When we grit
We make decisions on:
- forecasts for each day
- information about road surface temperatures
- road temperature sensors
If necessary, we salt 240 miles of priority routes across the borough.
We get our forecasts and information from MeteoGroup - Europe's leading private weather company.
How we treat roads and paths
When treating roads and paths we:
- use salt as a de-icing agent (the most cost effective means of treatment)
- pre-salt and apply rock salt to roads to prevent frost and ice forming on the surface
- do so in advance of frosty conditions (normally between 6pm and 10pm)
- pre-salt depending on road surface temperature, dampness, air temperature and humidity
- apply salt between 4am and 8am, following rain through the night that may have washed the salt off the carriageway
- prioritise main roads first
During long periods of frosty weather, and if we have the resources, we try to treat pathways near schools and sheltered accommodation.