You are here
The electoral and open registers
Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open (edited) register.
The registers are published on 1 December each year and updated every month.
The electoral register
The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.
The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.
It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:
- detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
- calling people for jury service
- checking credit applications
The open register
The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.
Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.
Find more information about both registers and how they may be used.
Inspection of the electoral register
Public inspection of the full Register
Inspection of the register must be carried out under supervision. Handwritten notes may be made but any other copying or recording (including photographing by mobile phone) is not permitted.
Information taken from the register must not be used for direct marketing purposes unless the information has also been published in the edited version of the register.
Anyone failing to observe these conditions is committing a criminal offence and the penalty is a fine of up to level 5 (currently £5000).
The register can be inspected at North Tyneside Council’s main offices :
The Silverlink North
Cobalt Business Park
An appointment should be made so that we can ensure we have staff available to supervise the inspection. Please contact us on 0191 643 2270 or e mail email@example.com
You will be asked to sign to say that you have understood the conditions outlined above.
Supply of registers
Supply of the full register
Supply of copies of the full register and associated documents is limited to those individuals and organisations prescribed in legislation and includes :
- Elected representatives (MPs, local councillors, elected mayors etc)
- Registered political parties
- Candidates and agents at various elections
- National Crime Agency and Police Forces in Great Britain
- Jury Central Summoning Bureau
- Government depts and bodies (on payment of the prescribed fee)
- Credit reference agencies (on payment of the prescribed fee) – must provide evidence that they are carrying on the business of providing credit reference services and must be registered with the FCA
There are restrictions on the recipients’ use of the full register.
Supply of the edited register
The edited register can be sold to anyone requesting it on payment of the prescribed fee.
Information on the fees payable for all registers can be obtained by contacting us on 0191 643 2270 or e mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information on who has access to the registers and the restrictions in place can be found on the Electoral Commission website.
Your personal information
- only use the information you give us for electoral purposes
- look after personal information securely
- follow the Data Protection Act 1998
We will not:
- give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we have to by law