Register a birth
~~If your Baby was born Cramlington NSEC please call 0345 600 6400 or RVI call 0191 2787878.
You can make an Appointment to complete a Declaration at The Riverside Centre, North Shields Tel: 0191 6438899. Whereby the detail in relation to Baby is processed by The Riverside Centre. You will not receive Baby’s Birth Certificate.
If your Baby was born at NSEC – The Riverside Centre will process the Declaration paper-work which will then be forwarded to Northumberland Registrars. 2/3 days after your Appointment you will need to call Northumberland Registrars to make payment of £11.00 for the Birth Certificate. The Birth Certificate will then be sent out to yourself.
If your Baby was born at RVI - The Riverside Centre will process the Declaration paper-work which will then be forwarded to Newcastle Registrars. 2/3 days after your Appointment you will need to call Newcastle Registrars to make payment of £11.00 for the Birth Certificate. The Birth Certificate will then be sent out to yourself.
You should also register your child with your family GP. The child's NHS number is passed directly from the NHS Trust to the GP practice.
Who can register a birth
When registering the birth, if the:
- parents are married to each other when the baby is born, either parent can register the birth
- baby's natural parents marry each other at a later date, by law they must re-register the birth
- baby's parents are not married to each other at the time of the birth, and they want the father's details to be included, both parents must attend together
- baby's father's details are not entered at the time of registration, they can still be added later
What you'll need
When registering the birth, you should know the:
- place and date of the birth (and the time if it was a multiple birth)
- name, surname and sex of the baby
- parents’ names, surnames and address
- parents’ place and date of birth
- parents’ jobs
- mother's address
- mother's maiden name
- date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership
- number of previous children of the mother
Each informant must give:
- one piece of photographic identification
- one proof of address
You can buy a full certificate when you register for £11.
When the register in which the birth is recorded is full, it goes to the Superintendent Registrar.
A copy certificate will then cost:
- £11 for a standard birth certificate issued within 5 working days
- £35 for a priority birth certificate issued within 24 hours
From 1st November 2017 anyone applying to have a correction made to a birth entry will be charged a fee of £75-£90, if the error is deemed to be incorrect information given by the informant at the time of registration. This fee is for the consideration of a correction only and will not be refunded should the correction not be granted.
A fee of £40 will be charged for the changing of a child's forename within 12 months of birth registration.