You are here
Register a birth
To register a birth, call us on (0191) 643 6164 Option 2.
You must register the baby in the district it was born.
If you can't go to a registration office in the area where the baby was born, you can go to another registration office and make a declaration.
They will send your details to the correct office and the birth certificate will be posted to you.
You should also register your child with your family GP. The child's NHS number is passed directly from the NHS Trust to the GP practice.
Who can register a birth
When registering the birth, if the:
- parents are married to each other when the baby is born, either parent can register the birth
- baby's natural parents marry each other at a later date, by law they must re-register the birth
- baby's parents are not married to each other at the time of the birth, and they want the father's details to be included, both parents must attend together
- baby's father's details are not entered at the time of registration, they can still be added later
What you'll need
When registering the birth, you should know the:
- place and date of the birth (and the time if it was a multiple birth)
- name, surname and sex of the baby
- parents’ names, surnames and address
- parents’ place and date of birth
- parents’ jobs
- mother's address
- mother's maiden name
- date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership
- number of previous children of the mother
Each informant must give:
- one piece of photographic identification
- one proof of address
You can buy a full certificate when you register for £4. If you buy one later (before the register is sent to the Superintendent Registrar) the cost is £7.00 each
Copies are issued within 5 working days. The priority service (same day of application, if applied before 3pm) is £19.
When the register in which the birth is recorded is full, it goes to the Superintendent Registrar.
A copy certificate will then cost:
- £10.00 for a short birth certificate
- £10.00 for a standard birth certificate
If you need the certificate urgently we have a priority service costing £22.
From 1st November 2017 anyone applying to have a correction made to a birth entry will be charged a fee of £75-£90, if the error is deemed to be incorrect information given by the informant at the time of registration. This fee is for the consideration of a correction only and will not be refunded should the correction not be granted.
A fee of £40 will be charged for the changing of a child's forename within 12 months of birth registration.