You are here

Social Care


Some families need additional support to care for a child with a disability or special educational needs. 

The Health visiting service can offer practical support and advice and offer a home visiting service. Every family with a child under the age of five years will have a named health visitor who will contact the family. For more information contact your health visitor.

Our schools can offer some advice and guidance on family support for parents and carers. Additional support may be accessed when schools complete an Early Help Assessment (EHA).

Every school has access to a public health nurse (formerly known as the school nurse) who offers a confidential service for the families of children attending school. For further information please contact your child's school.


My Care

My Care provides information and signposting about care and support for adults in North Tyneside.

Disability support

The Children's disability team provides support services for disabled children aged 0-17 and their families, including:

  • Signposting to our local offer and community resources
  • Signposting support for parent carers and young carers
  • Advice and guidance or referral to specialist services
  • Advice and guidance about  aids, adaptations and assistive technology for daily living
  • Advise and guidance about sensory support needs
  • After school clubs and specialist holiday activity schemes
  • Short breaks for parents and carers

For advice and information regarding a child with a disability contact:

The Oxford Centre
West Farm Avenue 
NE12 8LT
Telephone: (0191) 643 4151 

Any referral for a child with a disability should be directed to:

Front Door Service

Available Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Gateway Service
Telephone: (0191) 643 2777


Related documents

Learning disability support

The Community Learning Disabilities Team provides an assessment service for people with a learning disability.

They offer:

  • assessment and care co-ordination
  • independent supported living
  • support for parents and families
  • care management
  • mental health assessment
  • forensic services
  • support for adults with learning disabilities and complex health needs

Contact us:

  • carers
  • parents
  • GPs
  • health colleagues
  • social workers (including children's social workers for young adults coming through transition)
  • self referral

It is important that the person being referred has had a specialist assessment, to make sure they have a learning disability, and appropriate support is offered.

Referrals can by made by letter, email and telephone.

The Oxford Centre
West Farm Avenue
NE12 8LT

Telephone: (0191) 643 7885  (social work) | (0191) 643 2487 (health)

Related documents

Support for carers

North Tyneside Carers’ Centre is a local independent charity offering support to young and adult carers.

Visit their website for more information.

Identifying Social Care Needs for EHC Assessment

Related documents

SIGN directory

SIGN logo

SIGN North Tyneside Directory

Share this page