You are here

Get an EHC needs assessment

What is an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment?

If your child has complex special educational needs that can't be met by a mainstream school or nursery, you can ask for an Education, health and care (EHC) assessment.

An EHC assessment is a detailed investigation to find out exactly what your child's special educational needs are. This is only necessary if a school or setting can't provide this help. If your child does need extra help, we will work on an Education, health and care (EHC) plan.

EHC plans bring together a child or young person’s education, health and social care needs into a single, legal document. The document sets out what extra support they will get to meet those needs. Most children and young people don't need an EHC plan.

Download an example showing the assessment process.

Related documents

Request an assessment

To request an assessment call us on (0191) 643 8684.

Information, Advice and Support (SENDIASS)

To get Impartial and Confidential Advice click this link


Related documents

SIGN directory

SIGN logo

SIGN North Tyneside Directory

Share this page