Housing Benefit and Council Tax support

Benefits Calculator

Complete our benefits calculator to find out what you could claim. This gives an estimate - it doesn't start the benefits claim process.

Support for people on a low income

If you are on a low income you could get Council Tax Support to help you pay your Council Tax. You can also claim Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if any of the following circumstances apply to you:

  • you have reached pensionable age (and if you have a partner they have also reached pensionable age or, if your partner is under pensionable age, you are receiving Pension Credit)
  • you have been assessed as homeless and placed in temporary accommodation by the Local Authority
  • you are living in accommodation where you are provided with more than minimum care, support or supervision and your landlord is an English non-metropolitan county, a DWP funded resettlement hostel, a housing association, a registered charity or a voluntary organisation
  • you have been entitled within the last month to an existing benefit that included a severe disability premium and you continue to satisfy the conditions for this premium

Apply online for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

Any evidence requested in support of your claim can be e-mailed to benefits.evidence@northtyneside.gov.uk. Your e-mail must include your full name, address, date of birth, National Insurance number and the reference number from your claim form.

Please note: from 2 May 2018 Universal Credit has been fully rolled out in North Tyneside. This is a government benefit that has replaced Housing Benefit for most working age claimants, so if none of the above circumstances apply you are not eligible for Housing Benefit and you need to make a claim for Universal Credit to help pay your rent.

For further information you can go to Universal Credit.

Do you think your Housing Benefit decision is wrong?

If you think your Housing Benefit decision is wrong you can:

  • ask us to explain how we made the decision
  • ask us to revise the decision
  • tell us if you want to appeal

Related documents