As part of a phased re-opening of our leisure services:
- Contours gyms are open from Monday 27 July.
- Virtual classes are available from Monday 3 August.
- Instructor-led classes are available from Monday 10 August.
- Swimming is available at Tynemouth Pool, Hadrian Leisure Centre and the Lakeside Centre from Monday 10 August.
- Swimming is available at Waves from Monday 17 August.
- Badminton and table tennis is available at Hadrian Leisure Centre, the Lakeside Centre and The Parks from Monday 24 August.
- Facilities will allow new membership and ease card applications from Monday 24 August.
- Indoor bowls is available at The Parks from Monday 21 September.
- Swimming lessons will begin, for those who were enrolled on the programme in March 2020, on Monday 5 October.
- FAQ documents and timetables are available at the bottom of this page.
In line with Government and industry guidance, we have put in place stringent safety measures to ensure the safety of our staff and customers.
Government guidance has expanded the settings in which face coverings are required. This does not include gyms, leisure centres and sport facilities, however, any visitors to facilities who are not taking part in an activity should wear a face covering (if not exempt), this includes guardians for small children in activities and anyone coming in to join the gym at reception.
For any general enquires please contact: The Lakeside Centre (0191 643 4177), The Parks Centre (0191 643 2700), Waves (0191 643 2600), Hadrian Leisure Centre (0191 643 2025), or Tynemouth Pool (0191 643 2900).
As you would expect, there will be some changes when you return. Here’s what you need to know:
- To comply with social distancing measures, we have had to significantly reduce the number of customers allowed in at any one time.
- You will need to book to visit any of the leisure centres. Bookings (and registration for bookings) can be managed here. If you want to book for multiple people to access swimming pools, this must be booked via the phone.
- Changing rooms will only be available to those attending swimming sessions but restrictions are in place, please ensure you read the swimming FAQ document at the bottom of this page. Toilets will be available.
- Gyms and studios have been rearranged to ensure 2m distancing between individuals.
- Our pools are well-maintained and properly chlorinated, with numerous risk control measures in place. Chlorine-based disinfectants are very effective against a wide range of viruses and bacteria.
- Safety measures including screens at reception, barriers, and signage will be in place to reduce contact between customers and staff and show you where to go when you arrive.
- If you pay by Direct Debit, payments will restart on 1 September 2020.
- If you have paid in full any time you have lost will be added to your membership.
- If you pay by direct debit and don’t want your membership and payments to resume, please email our membership team at email@example.com to continue to freeze your payments until you are ready to return.
For leisure operators everywhere, this has been a very complex process. We thank you for your continued support as we work to bring back our services in a safe and responsible manner.