Household Support Fund

About the fund

All local authorities have been given a grant from the Department for Work and Pension (DWP) to provide support to help vulnerable households with the cost of food and utilities and have access to other essential household items.

As this is a Discretionary Scheme, all authorities can decide how best to support their residents, so no two authorities will provide the same support. 

In North Tyneside to make sure we get support to those households who really need it, the authority has agreed the following approach:

  • continuing to provide all families who are entitled to income related free school meals with a supermarket voucher worth £15 for each week of the school holiday’s for each child.
  • working with certain organisations to provide direct support to residents they support, with help through food vouchers and utility top ups.
  • funding projects that provide wider and longer term support   
  • targeted support to certain vulnerable groups including pensionable age council tax support claimants to provide a voucher/other help towards food and fuel.

If you are entitled to a payment/voucher from this scheme we will be in touch to let you know, please do not contact us.

In addition to the above we will have an online application process for organisations to apply online for financial help for households they are supporting where there is exceptional need or circumstances. We will contact organisations direct to offer this help.

If your situation is urgent and you are in crisis today

Please contact us by telephone so that an assessment of your circumstances can be completed. In order for us to prioritise urgent cases please only telephone us if you have no food or utilities for today. 

The Welfare Assistance Team can be contacted on (0191) 643 2777 for urgent crisis support.

If you are experiencing difficulties with debt

We are unfortunately not able to help directly but please contact Citizens Advice who offer free independent advice. Please telephone 0300 3309047.

Help and advice if your home if affecting your health

We can give advice and guidance to help residents to solve health-related housing issues and improve physical / mental health, for example help with  heating issues, energy bills and fuel poverty (including boiler repairs and replacements (where appropriate).