You are here

Pavement cafes

Apply to place tables and chairs on the pavement

You need a permit to place tables and chairs on the pavement or road.

Apply for a permit.

Conditions may be attached and a fee may be payable.

Changes to your existing permit


If the works are minor and don't require the closure of a road or footpath there is no fee.

If you need to close a road or footpath, you must apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (subject to an administrative fee of up to £1350).

Related documents


You may need frontage and walkway consent first.

Application process

Public notice of the application must be given, detailing the proposal and deadline for representations.

All representations received must be considered. Any other relevant authorities must be consulted. Consents must not be unreasonably withheld.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed or refused applications

Contact us in the first instance.

Contact Highways

Contact us

Telephone: (0191) 643 8515
Email: Highways