We are currently following DEFRA’s advice with regards to allotments. However the advice may change so please continue to keep up to date. The latest information can be accessed from DEFRA, or our home page.
Allotment Advice from DEFRA is that as long as social distancing is strictly adhered to, not only on the allotment but also on the journey from home and back home, there isn’t a problem with visiting your plot.
However, If you are over 70 or are in a high risk group you should be self-isolating for 12 weeks; and anyone with COVID-19 symptoms or who lives in a household with someone who is showing symptoms, must self-isolate at home and therefore stay away from the allotment site.
When using your allotment:
- Practise strict social distancing while travelling to your allotment, do not use public transport.
- When arriving at your allotment, wash your hands for 20 seconds using soap and warm water or hand sanitizer. You can take warm water in a flask.
- Do not touch your face.
- While on your allotment continue to practice social distancing. Do not have communal tea breaks or other gatherings. If you use communal taps please wash your hands after touching them.
- Once you have locked the allotment site gate use hand sanitizer again, if you don’t have any, don’t touch your face or any other surface until you are home again and can wash with warm water and soap for 20 seconds.
- On the journey home, continue to observe strict social distancing and do not use public transport.