In line with step 1b of the government roadmap, Churchill Community Track, Shiremoor Adventure Playground, Whitley Bay Mini Golf and Footgolf, football pitches, and tennis courts are now open to the public.
Following confirmation from the government to progress to step 2 of the roadmap, from Monday 12 April 2021, Contours gyms and swimming pools at our indoor sport and leisure facilities can re-open.
Information on the return of sport and leisure services in North Tyneside (in line with the government roadmap) can be found at the bottom of this page and shows what will become available when (pending progression through each step).
Please note the following:
- Contours gyms will re-open on Monday 12 April;
- Exercise classes are not permitted until 17 May at the earliest (an update on this is expected on Monday 10 May);
- Swimming will be available at Hadrian Leisure Centre, Tynemouth Pool, Waves, and the Lakeside Centre from Monday 12 April;
- Swimming lessons will return from Monday 12 April, reps from each pool will contact the parents of children who are enrolled and due to re-commence lessons directly;
- Badminton and table tennis will be available at Hadrian Leisure Centre, The Parks, and the Lakeside Centre from Monday 12 April, however this is restricted to people from the same household or support bubble;
- Booking to attend any of our leisure centres is essential, timetables can be found at the bottom of this page;
- If you are a member, the latest information on your membership can be found in the FAQ document at the bottom of this page;
- New membership and ease card applications are being accepted, however you need to call your local centre to facilitate this.
FAQ documents and timetables are available at the bottom of this page.
In line with government and industry guidance, we have stringent safety measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff and customers.
Government guidance has expanded the settings in which face coverings are required. This does not include gyms, leisure centres and sport facilities however, any visitors to facilities who are not taking part in an activity should wear a face covering (if not exempt), this includes guardians of small children taking part in activities and anyone visiting to process a membership or easecard application at reception.
For any general enquires please contact: Hadrian Leisure Centre (0191 643 2025), The Parks Sports Centre (0191 643 2700), Tynemouth Pool (0191 643 2900), Waves (0191 643 2600), or The Lakeside Centre (0191 643 4177).
As you would expect, we will be operating differently in order to ahdere to the latest guidance. Here’s what you need to know:
- To comply with social distancing measures, we have had to significantly reduce the number of individuals allowed into facilities at any one time.
- You will need to book to visit any of the leisure centres. Bookings (and registration for bookings) can be managed here. If you want to book for multiple people to access swimming pools, this must be booked via the phone.
- Changing rooms will only be available to those attending swimming sessions but restrictions are in place, please ensure you read the swimming FAQ document at the bottom of this page. Toilets will be available.
- Gyms and studios have been rearranged to ensure 2m distancing between individuals.
- Our pools are well-maintained and properly chlorinated, with numerous risk control measures in place. Chlorine-based disinfectants are very effective against a wide range of viruses and bacteria.
- Safety measures including screens at reception, barriers, and signage will be in place to reduce contact between customers and staff and show you where to go when you arrive.