Welfare and benefit support


If you’ve got less money because of coronavirus and struggling to pay your bills - we are here to help

We understand this is a very difficult time for many of our residents, if you are having trouble paying your Council Tax or rent you should contact us straight away - it's never too late to get in touch.

We may be able to extend your Council Tax payments or reduce the amount you owe if you are entitled to Council Tax Support or a Council Tax exemption/discount. If you are in rent arrears, we may be able to arrange an affordable payment plan. If you’ve lost a job or had your hours reduced, we can offer employment support.

Check out the links below.

Getting benefits

You might be able to claim benefits or get more money on your current benefits if your work has been affected by coronavirus. Check what benefits you can get.

Difficulty paying your rent

We know this is a difficult and worrying time for many of our customers, but please be assured that the coronavirus situation will not affect your tenancy with us.

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, or have a reduced income as a result of coronavirus, please complete  our online system enquiry form.

Your enquiry will be directed to the Neighbourhood Team to assist with your enquiry and make sure you get the support you need through this difficult time.

We can discuss your circumstances and help to put in place the things you need to lessen any concerns you have about paying your rent.

Our staff are here to help you and make sure you get the support you need through this difficult period.

I can't leave the house to pay my rent, what do I do now?

If you can't pay your rent because you normally go out to pay it, and are currently in isolation, please contact us and we will explain your options.

Struggling to pay your Council Tax

Contact us if you think you might not be able to pay your Council Tax and we can look at ways of supporting you. Telephone: 0345 2000 101 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5pm | Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm) to explain your circumstances and we can look at what options are available.

Council Tax Support

this is a discount you can claim if you are on a low income. It reduces the amount of council tax you pay. The size of the discount you receive depends on your income and household size. More information and how to apply.

Council Tax Hardship

The Government has announced that working age people receiving council tax support will receive up to £150 towards their council tax. If you are already in receipt of council tax reduction you do not need to do anything, we will automatically award this, and you will see this on your council tax bill. 

Discretionary Housing Payments

You may get these if you already receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit that includes housing cost but find this does not cover the full amount of your rent and you need financial assistance to pay your rent or you need help to move to more affordable accommodation. More information and how to apply.

Crisis Support

If you are experiencing exceptional hardship and need help with a food parcel or utility bill you may be entitled to Crisis Support, Telephone the Gateway Team on 0191 643 2777 and press option 2 between 9am and 2pm, Monday to Friday.

Independent advice about debt or benefits

If you need advice about benefits or you are struggling with debt get independent advice from North Tyneside Citizens Advice

Back to Work Helpline

We know some of our residents have lost their jobs, are on reduced working hours or are currently furloughed and we are here to help.  We have launched a Back to Work helpline – 0191 643 2111. Please contact us we will do all we can to support you.

Other ways of contacting the team to seek support:

Email: employability.skills@northtyneside.gov.uk
Twitter: @NTEmployment:
Facebook: NTC Adult Learning Service
Website: www.skillsnorthtyneside.org.uk