Free online courses
- Learn My Way Free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online.
- Future Learn Enjoy free online courses from top universities and specialist organisations.
- Open Learn Free online learning from The Open University. OpenLearn gives you free access to course materials and expert opinion on topical issues.
You can borrow books on a huge range of subjects, including language courses. We have everything from ‘teach yourself’ books to text books which support formal courses. Search the library catalogue
Computing and Internet skills
- Basic online skills courses How to search and explore the Internet, keep in touch with email, and use public services online - all while being safe and secure, provided my Learn My Way
- Employment and Skills North Tyneside Offers hundreds of part-time courses, including computing, all year round, in accessible locations across the borough.
- Borrow a micro:bit. From dancing robots to banana keyboards, a micro:bit has all the features you need to code awesome stuff - the possibilities are endless! We have micro:bit starter kits available to borrow for free. All you need is your library card.
- Free IT drop-in sessions with our expert. View the session venues in the document below.
- Job Clubs: Some of our libraries have regular free drop-in job clubs, providing help with writing CVs, completing application forms, job searching and setting up an email account. Contact your local library for details
- Finding a job online Access four free online courses on different aspects of job hunting with Learn My Way
- National Careers Service Information, advice and guidance to help you make decisions on learning, training and work
Online reference shelf
We subscribe to a range of quality information sources which can be accessed from a library computer.
- Britannica Explore the fact-checked online encyclopaedia from Encyclopaedia Britannica with hundreds of thousands of objective articles, biographies, videos, and images from experts. (Accessible from home and library computers)
- Newsstand (Accessible from library computers only)
- Theory Test Pro Theory Test Pro is a highly realistic online simulation of the UK's driving theory tests for all vehicle categories. It contains all the official test questions licensed from the DVSA, the people who set the tests. (Accessible from home and library computers)
- Access to Research Access to Research gives free access to over 15million academic articles in participating public libraries across the UK. Students and independent researchers can now access many of the world’s best academic papers from leading publishers who have made their journal content available for free. (Accessible from library computers only)
- Which? magazine Which? works for you reviewing products and services, so that you make the best purchase decisions for your needs. Ask a member of staff to log you in to the site. (Accessible from library computers only)
- British Newspaper Archive Access hundreds of historic newspapers from all over Britain and Ireland (Accessible from library computers only)
- Ancestry Delivers billions of records in census data, vital records, directories, photos, and more from countries all over the world (Accessible from library computers only)
- Find My Past Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more (Accessible from library computers only)