Homes for Ukraine support

North Tyneside Council are responding to a fast-changing situation and evolving Government guidance.

This additional information will guide you on how the Homes for Ukraine scheme will work in North Tyneside and your role as a sponsor.

Checks required

All sponsors and adult family members who live at the address will require safeguarding and home checks. In order to begin completing these necessary checks, we are contacting all sponsors as quickly as possible.

Both sponsor checks need to be passed in order for guests to stay with you and your family and for payments to be made.

Safeguarding checks

There are two parts to the safeguarding check. The first part of the safeguarding check is a visit from a social worker to your home. The purpose of this visit is to speak to you and ensure there are no safeguarding risks. These checks will be carried out by a member of staff from North Tyneside Council.

Secondly you will be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

This will be a standard DBS check if you are providing a home for adults only. An enhanced DBS check will be required if you are providing a home for children.

To complete the DBS check you will need to provide proof of ID. You can read guidance about DBS checks and processes.

Accommodation checks

All homes must meet the standards as set out in the accommodation guidance. Accommodation checks will be carried out by North Tyneside Council. They will be in touch to arrange a convenient time to visit your home or property.

When your guests arrive

To help make the transition to life in North Tyneside as smooth as possible for your guests we need your help. This will ensure that we can provide you with help and support for your whole household throughout the sponsorship.

Notifying the council of their arrival

or sponsors living in the North Tyneside Council area, when your guest(s) arrive, please email with the following information:

  • your name
  • your address
  • name(s) of guest(s)
  • whether your guests include children aged 0-18
  • date of arrival
  • the name of the district, city or borough council, that covers the area you live in (this will be the council to which that you pay council tax)

In the subject line of your email, please put: Homes for Ukraine Arrival Notification and add your surname.

This will help us to make sure safeguarding and accommodation checks, thank you payments, and support for any children you are receiving as guests can be triggered.

What support is available?

You can refer to Welcome: a guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK.

There are Services across the North East that provide specialist support to Refugees. In North Tyneside we have a dedicated team of Resettlement Officers who are on hand to provide support to Sponsor families and Ukrainians.

School places

Ukrainian families with school age children can apply for a place at a North Tyneside school.

They will need to use the In Year Application Process and places will be allocate using our Fair Access protocol.

Sponsors and families can speak to their local school about the options available to them, but applications will need to be made to the Council rather than directly to the school.

Payment arrangements

There is a one-off £200 payment for each guest. This will be paid by the Council as soon as they know your guests have arrived.

You are also entitled to a £350 per month ‘thank you’ payment from the government. This is optional and we realise that not everyone will want to claim this. If claimed, it will be paid the Council. Payments will be paid four weeks in arrears and will be confirmed once all the checks have been passed and your guests have arrived.

Notifying the council of departures

We want all Ukrainians to feel welcome and settled in the Borough, however we acknowledged that some placements may break down or be at risk of breaking down.

Our Council team will be on hand to provide guidance and support for issues that are arising and help maintain positive relationships between the sponsor and Ukrainian refugees. If you need some extra advice, please email

If your guests move out you need to email

We will need to know:

your name
your address
name(s) of guest(s)
date the guest(s) moved out
the name of the district, city or Borough council, that covers the area you live in (this will be the council to which that you pay council tax)

If your guest(s) move out for any reason we must stop payment. It is important that you tell us as soon as possible if they move out. Otherwise, we will ask you to repay the money.