About free school meals
You're eligible for free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.
Applications can be taken over the telephone by calling (0191) 643 2288 (You will require your National Insurance Number) or by completing the on line form below or print and submit a paper application form.
All children in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 are eligible for Universal Infant Free School Meals, however you are advised to still complete the application form below to register. If you do not complete a free meal application form you will have to pay for meals from Year 3.
Apply for free school meals
How the information will be used
The information you provide in this form will be used by the council to confirm receipt of one of the listed welfare benefits. Once this is confirmed, this helps to decide how much money your child’s school will receive each year.
The information will also be used to decide whether they are eligible for free school meals.
You will need to complete this form once and it will last for the duration of your child’s time at a North Tyneside school. You should contact the local authority if you have a change in financial circumstances.
We are committed to ensuring that the personal and sensitive information that we hold about you is protected and kept safe and secure, and we have measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. We will use the information you provide to assess entitlement to free school meals. The information may also be shared with other council department to offer benefits and services.