Report flooding

Getting help in an emergency

If residents are flooded and there is an urgent risk please call 999.

You can contact:

Emergency flood contacts
Organisation Telephone
North Tyneside Council (7.30am-8pm, Monday to Friday) 0345 2000 101 
North Tyneside Council 
(Flooding emergencies/urgent calls outside these hours)
0330 333 7475
Northumbria Water customer care centre 0845 717 1100
Sewer flooding: Northumbrian Water's Freephone Floodline 0800 328 7648
River/waterways pollution (wildlife) 0800 807 060

Who to contact for different types of flooding

If you notice a flooded area, please let the appropriate person or service know.

Flooding from Contact Telephone or link
Public foul and surface water sewers Northumbrian Water 08457 171 100
Overflowing private sewers or drains Drainage contractor Yellow Pages under "drain and pipe cleaning"
The public highway, blocked gullies or gratings North Tyneside Council Report a blocked gully
Burst water main Northumbrian Water 08457 171 100
Water service pipe or internal pipework Homeowner or landlord Plumber (see Yellow Pages or similar service directories)
A main river Environment Agency 08708 506 506
Watercourses, other than main rivers Home or land owner  

Note: if you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, contact the water company. They will determine this once on site and charge the owner the cost of any work completed on any private sewers.

Note: watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of their owners. You are an owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse. Owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and the council can serve legal notices on owners to deal with obstructions.

Contacting Highway Maintenance

Highway Maintenance
Block A
Harvey Combe
NE12 6QQ
Telephone: (0191) 643 4815

Out of hours enquiries:
Envirolink Hotline
Telephone: 0345 2000 103