Noise problems

Report nuisance noise

Your details
Tell us about the problem

What is noise?

Noise is defined as unwanted sound - it could be:

  • too loud
  • too intrusive
  • occurring at the wrong time
  • excessive, sudden and unexpected

For example:

  • a dog barking
  • burglar alarms
  • noise from commercial and licensed premises
  • noise from the street or neighbouring houses

What we don't class as noise:

  • baby crying
  • children playing
  • dog or pet noise
  • loud music (this would only be considered antisocial behaviour if the noise is persistent)
  • neighbours arguing or shouting
  • footsteps
  • DIY as reasonable hours

Domestic and commercial noise

The council has powers (under the Environmental Protection Act 1990) to prevent a 'statutory noise nuisance'.

If necessary we can serve an abatement notice. Failure to comply with this notice is an offence, punishable by a fine of up to £20,000 in the Magistrates Court.

We will monitor the situation and decide if a statutory noise nuisance exists.

A licensee convicted of breaches of Environmental Protection Act 1990 also risks revocation of their personal licence/premise licence.

To help us resolve the problem, we suggest you consider the following approach:

  • be prepared to listen to their reply - try to understand their point of view
  • always treat the other person with the same respect that you would like them to show you
  • find areas of agreement - use them as a basis for a workable solution

Related documents

Construction and contractor noise

Constuction noise is unavoidable, but all builders and contractors should show consideration to their neighbours.

As a general rule, where residents are affected by noise or vibration, construction and demolition work will be carried out during normal working hours:

  • Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm
  • Sat: 8am-2pm
  • Sun or bank holiday: No working

These times may not always apply, particularly work on railway lines:

  • where a public transport service is needed
  • for health and safety reasons
  • in case of emergency

If a construction site is causing a disturbance out of these hours, or not taking reasonable steps to minimise the noise, we can serve a Section 60 Control of Pollution Notice.

This notice requires the developer to follow the British Standard for Noise and Vibration Control (BS5228).

Before demolition or construction a developer can submit a prior consent form for the work.

Download, complete the form and return it to:

Pollution Control
North Tyneside Council
Quadrant East
Silverlink North
Cobalt Business Park
North Shields
NE27 0BY

Related documents