You are here

Request highways permission


In cooperation with the business community this policy provides a balance between the needs of highway users and the continuing need of businesses to promote themselves.

Related documents

Section 50

Under sections 50 and 67 of the act anyone (not a statutory undertaker) wishing to excavate in the highway (carriageway, footway or verge) to install a service such as a sewer connection, water pipe or communications cable must obtain a licence from the Highway Authority and ensure that all works are supervised by an ‘Accredited Supervisor’.

Related documents


To position a scaffold on the council's highway, the person wishing to erect the scaffold must apply to the council for permission (a highway includes a path, pavement or road).

Related documents


All skip hire companies who wish to deposit a skip in North Tyneside are now required to register their company details with the council.

See Roads and highways licensing.

Temporary traffic lights

Any undertaker who wishes to place temporary traffic signals on the highway must seek prior permission from North Tyneside council.

Related documents

Dropped kerbs

Any access onto a public highway, from a residential or commercial driveway, should have a vehicle access crossing - commonly known as a dropped kerb.

Dropped kerbs prevent damage to the vehicle and footway, make the presence of a drive more obvious and help protect any utility services that may be beneath the footway surface.

Capita provides highway services on behalf of North Tyneside Council and can install a dropped kerb - usually within 30 days of the request.

You will need planning permission for a dropped kerb if you live on a classified road (A, B or other main road) or in a property where permitted development rights have been removed.

If you choose to employ your own private contactor, you must ensure they are qualified and accredited.

Contact Highways

Contact us

Telephone: (0191) 643 6131
Email: Streetworks