For information about how to dispose of lots of household items, such as beds, cardboard etc please refer to our A-Z of rubbish.
Grey bins (recycling)
Your grey bin is for recycling only. It won't be collected if it contains rubbish.
Your recycling is collected once a fortnight, on the same day as rubbish collections but at a different time of day, in a grey wheeled bin with a caddy in the top.
Please use the caddy for:
- glass bottles and jars (no window glass, no pyrex)
- if you've more glass than will fit in the caddy please use your nearest recycling site - or save it until the next collection
- please do not remove your caddy - for safety reasons it won't be collected unless it is in the bin
You may use the main part of the bin for:
- cardboard (please flatten)
- newspapers, magazines, junk mail and envelopes
- shredded paper (must be in a bag, no black bags please)
- telephone directories (including yellow pages)
- catalogues (no hard backs please)
- plastic bottles, pop, squash, milk, sauces, toiletries, household cleaners (please wash and squash items)
- drinks cans and food tins, including pet food tins (please wash and squash items)
- tetrapaks, e.g. juice cartons (please wash and squash items)
- plastic pots, tubs and trays, e.g. margarine tubs, yoghurt pots, punnets and food trays (wash and squash items)
Please do not use your grey bin for:
- black plastic items, e.g. food trays, plastic bottles and yoghurt lids
- plastic films (cling film, bread wrappers, crisp packets, biscuit wrappers, vegetable wrappings, frozen foods, magazine wrappings)
- hard plastics (toys, kitchenware, electrical plugs, CD and DVD cases, stationery)
- textiles (no clothing or bedding please)
- batteries - many retailers and supermarkets have battery disposal points so please take your batteries to these points.
If you would like to reduce the junk mail you receive please contact the Mailing Preference Service.
For ways to recycle additional resources please check out:
Brown bins (garden waste)
A household garden waste collection service operates in North Tyneside.
Your brown bin is for garden waste only - your bin won't be collected if it's contaminated with other waste or too heavy.
Make sure your brown bin is located in the same place you'd normally leave your refuse bin by 6.30am on collection day.
Use your brown bin for:
- grass cuttings
- small tree prunings
- dead flowers and house plants
- leaves and weeds
Please don't use your brown bin for:
- plastic bags
- plant containers
- rubble and gravel
- tree trunks and large branches
- food or animal waste
Rather than putting your garden waste and some kitchen waste in your brown bin have you thought about composting?
Green bins (rubbish)
Put your household rubbish, food waste and any items that cannot be recycled in your green bin.
- we'll collect your rubbish in your wheeled bin once a fornight
- collections will be Tuesday to Friday
- please place your bin at the kerbside no later than 6.30am on collection day
- make sure your rubbish is in the bin - no extra bags will be collected
- make sure you don't over fill your bin - if it's too heavy it can't be lifted by the vehicle
- don't put your rubbish out for collection any earlier than the evening before your normal collection day
- collections aren't affected by bank holidays except at Christmas and New Year