Club premises certificate

Licensing Section

We recommend any enquiries you may have are submitted by email:

Alternatively, you can also contact the team on the usual telephone number (0191) 643 2175.  Access to the Licensing Office will be by appointment only.

Apply for a new club premises certificate

To supply alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club* you need a certificate from your local authority.

Apply for a new club premises certificate.

*In a qualifying club there is technically no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and money paid at the bar is a way to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another. In order to constitute a qualifying club you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

Related documents

Make an annual payment


Fees vary depending on the National Non-Domestic Rates (NNDR) of the premises.

Related documents


Clubs must be qualifying and ensure:

  • a person may not be given memberships (or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges) without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • that club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. Clubs must ensure:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of the club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members
  • that no person (at the expense of the club) receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
  • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered. A relevant institute is one that is managed by a committee or board that consists of at least two thirds of people appointed or elevated by one or more licensed operators under the Coal Industry Act 1994 and by one or more organisations who represent coal mine employees.

The institute can be managed by the committee or board where the board cannot be made up as detailed above but is made up of at least two thirds of members who were employed or are employed in or around coal mines and also by people who were appointed by the Coal Industry Welfare Organisation or by a body who had similar functions under the Miners' Welfare Act 1952. In any case the premises of the institute must be held on a trust as required under the Recreational Charities Act 1958.

Application process

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises which are occupied and used regularly for club purposes.

You should apply to the local licensing authority where the premises are situated and include:

  • the relevant fee
  • a plan of the premises (which must be clear and legible in all material respects)
  • a copy of the rules of the club
  • a club operating schedule

A club operating schedule is a document which must be in a specific format and which includes information on:

  • the activities of the club
  • the times the activities are to take place
  • other opening times
  • if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • the steps that the club propose to take to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other information that is required

You must advertise the application by:

  • displaying a notice at the premises
  • advertising the notice in a newspaper which circulates in the area of the premises within 10 working days of the application being made

If no representations are received we must grant the application, which can be subject to conditions. A hearing must be held if any representations are made in respect of the application. If a hearing is held the licence can be granted or granted subject to additional conditions. Licensable activities listed in the application can be excluded or the aplication can be rejected.

We will serve a notice of the decision on:

  • the applicant
  • any person who has made relevant representations
  • the chief officer of police

If there any alterations to the rules or name of the club before an application is determined or after a certificate is issued, the club secretary must give details to the local licensing authority. If a certificate is in place this must be sent to the licensing authority when they are notified.

If a certificate is in place and the registered address of the club changes the club must give notice to the local licensing authority of the change and provide the certificate with the notice.

Related documents

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. You can act as though your licence has been granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion (28 calendar days). This does not apply to minor variation applications or when your licensing application is considered by the Licensing Sub-Committee at hearing.

We aim to acknowledge your application within 5 working days of receipt. Please contact us if you have not received acknowledgement within 10 working days.

Failed or refused applications

Contact us in the first instance.

If you application fails you will receive notice from us. If an application is rejected, you may appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Licence holder redress

Contact us in the first instance.

A licence holder may appeal against:

  • a decision to put conditions on a certificate
  • to exclude any club activity
  • the variation of any condition

A club may appeal against the withdrawing of a certificate.

Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the notice of the decision.

Contact Licensing