You are here

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Tell us about a temporary event

To hold an ad-hoc event in North Tyneside, you must apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

Apply for a temporary event notice.

If the premises where the event is taking place are in two local authority areas, you must notify both. You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five per year (of which 2 can be late TENs).

If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 per year (of which 10 can be late TENs). Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 168 hours (7 days) with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Application process


Standard TEN

You must apply at least 10 working days before your event and pay the £21 fee.

You must send a copy of the TEN to the police and to our environmental health department at least 10 working days before the event.

The date of submitting the TEN and the day of the event are not included in the total number of working days before the event.

The local licensing authority will hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. If this happens then a decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

Late TEN

The premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the police department and our environmental health department no later than 5 working days before the event.

Related documents


A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) costs £21.


We can’t refuse a notice unless the police or our environmental health department object to it. They must do this within 3 working days of receiving it. They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm

If there’s an objection, our licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing isn’t needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or environmental health object to a late TEN, the notice won’t be valid and you can’t hold the event.

Failed or refused applications

Contact us in the first instance.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. You can act as though your licence has been granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period (5 working days)

Please contact us if you haven't received acknowledgement within 10 working days.

Contact Licensing

Contact us

Block C
The Killingworth Site
Harvey Combe
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE12 6UB

Telephone: (0191) 643 2175
Email: Licensing