You are here

Animal boarding establishments

Apply for a boarding establishment licence

You need a licence to run a boarding kennel or cattery.

The licence will specify the number of dogs and cats that can be accommodated along with other specific conditions. We may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises.

To apply, you can either:

  • phone in to arrange an inspection and make payment over the phone; we'll pick up the application and cheque when we visit
  • post in the application form and cheque
  • post the application form and give the cheque to the visiting officer

Related documents

Tell us about a change to your licence

Renew your licence

Kennels and catteries only. This facility can't be used by home boarders.

Renew your animal boarding establishment licence.


A licence costs £87 (plus vets fees).


You  must not be disqualified from (at the time of the application):

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006
  • owning, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006

You can read a summary of the regulations at GOV.UK.

The application process

When evaluating your application we ensure that:

  • the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times (the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, exercise facilities, cleanliness, temperature, lighting and ventilation)
  • suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly
  • steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place
  • adequate protection is provided to the animals in case of fire and other emergencies
  • a register is kept (available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner), containing:
    • a description of all animals received
    • arrival and departure dates
    • name and address of the owner

Failed or refused applications

Appeal to your local Magistrates' Court.

Licence holder redress

Appeals against conditions attached to your licence should be made to your local Magistrates' Court.

Contact Environmental health

Contact us

Environmental Health
Public Protection
North Tyneside Council
The Silverlink North
Cobalt Business Park
North Tyneside
NE27 0BY

Telephone: (0191) 643 6100
Email: Environmental health

Share this page