Apply for a private hire operator's licence
To accept or invite bookings for private hire vehicles, you must have a private hire operator's licence.
To apply download and complete the application form.
A private hire vehicle is defined as being a motor vehicle with eight or less passenger seats which is provided for hire with the services of a driver for the purpose of carrying passengers.
An operator must operate from premises within North Tyneside. Those premises must have planning consent for use as a private hire office. Customers make initial contact with the operator by telephoning or visiting the premises in order to book a vehicle. Once a booking is accepted by the operator a contract is made to provide a vehicle.
It is unlawful for a private hire driver to accept any bookings unless he works for a private hire operator licensed by the council.
If you surrender your operator’s licence where the licence was issued for 5 years we will refund the licence fee for each full year remaining on the licence, minus a small administration fee. If the licence is revoked or suspended no refund will be given.
Private hire vehicles supplied by these operators must be booked in advance.
- Affordable Taxis 0191 262 3110
- Blue Line Taxis 0191 262 6666
- Borderline Taxis 0191 2501476
- Budget Taxis 0191 262 1200
- Central Taxis 0191 258 1000
- Citadel Taxis 0191 268 3000
- Crown Taxis 0191 250 2345
- Direct Cars 0191 215 0033
- East Coast Taxis 0191 253 3770
- Hadrian Minibuses 0191 263 3839
- LA Taxis 0191 296 1919
- NE Taxis 0191 432 1000
- Phoenix 0191 258 2200
- Premier Transport 0191 234 1666
- Priory Taxis 0191 257 6061
- Radar Taxis 0191 258 5858
- Rank Taxis 0191 296 2626
- Silverline Cabs 0191 262 2020