Food premises registration

Update COVID-19

The latest Government guidance for food businesses can be found here 

If you are a takeaway or restaurant offering a pick-up service: 

  • no orders should be taken in person on the premises - this should be communicated to customers by appropriate means such as signage
  • businesses should therefore only take orders online or by telephone
  • customers could have staggered collection times - customers should be discouraged from entering the premises until their order is ready
  • customers arriving without having already placed an order should be encouraged to leave the premises to place their order by telephone or online, and to return at a designated time for collection
  • customers whose orders are ready should enter one at a time to collect orders and make payments
  • businesses should discourage crowding outside the premises. Where possible, use queue management systems to maintain the 2 metres separation

Further advice for food deliveries and takeaways has been produced by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health and is available in the attachment below.

Related documents

Register a food business establishment

You must register with us at least 28 days beforehand. Register a food business establishment.

Changes to your existing establishment


There is no fee to register your food business with us.


You will need to make sure that:

  • your food premises are suitable (good design, layout and hygiene)
  • you and your staff are trained appropriately
  • you have proper systems in place to ensure that the food you sell is safe and of good quality (this applies whatever type of food business you run)

When selecting premises you should check that the building has planning permission for the type of food premises you intend to open. If you need to carry out any construction work or alterations you should check whether you need building regulation consent.

If you invite your customers to eat food or drink on the premises you will need to provide suitable and sufficient toilets for their use.

Information on food safety requirements can be found in the Food Standards Agency (FSA) booklet Food hygiene: A guide for businesses.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Failed or refused applications

If your application is refused or fails, please contact us.

Contact Environmental health