Registering for small society lotteries
If you run small society lotteries you may operate without a Gambling Commission licence provided you register with us.
Small society lotteries:
- have £20,000 or less worth of tickets put on sale
- aggregate proceeds from lotteries do not exceed £250,000 per year
Your society must be registered with the local authority in the area its principal office is located.
Tickets and prize funds
- must be priced the same
- contain the name and address of a person who is responsible for the lottery
- contain the date of the draw
- can't be bought or sold by under 16s
Rollover of prize funds are permitted as long as the total for any single prize does not exceed £25,000 or 10% of the proceeds of the lottery.
Records and returns
We can inspect records for any lottery so you should keep records for all unsold and returned tickets for a year after the draw. Returns for each lottery have to be completed and sent to us within three months of each draw. You must show that at least 20% of the total proceeds raised have gone to one of the purposes for the society was created.
The fee for a new lottery registration is £40.
Payments can be made:
- over the phone by card or via BACS
- with cash in person
- by cheque in the post