Appealing a decision
If you're not happy with the response to your application preferences you have the right to appeal the decision(s) and present your case to an Independent Appeal Panel.
An appeal submission form and other information about the appeal process is available below. If you appeal you will receive an acknowledgement within five working days. If you require a paper appeal form please contact the admission appeal service using the contact details at the end of this page.
Before you decide to appeal, please take the time to consider:
- the school's admission policy
- your reasons for wanting your child to attend that school
- your child’s opinion about what school they should attend
- how strong a case you have
See the Essential Guide to North Tyneside Schools for information on the appeals process for:
- Key Stage 1 – Reception Class
- All other year groups
- 6th Form
For academies, trust and voluntary aided schools, the governing body manages pupil admissions.
Any appeals for these schools should be made directly to the Chair of the Governors at the school address.
Admission Appeals Timetable 2020/21
In accordance with the School Admission Appeals Code, the Council as the admission authority for community schools must set a timetable for organising and hearing appeals. Trust schools, Voluntary Aided schools and Academies will set their own appeals timetable which should be available on the individual school’s website from the 28 February 2020.
The following timetable will apply to appeals for admission to community schools in the academic year 2020/21.
|Process||Middle and High Schools||First and Primary Schools|
|National Offer Day – This is the day that letters or emails are sent out informing parents of the school at which they have been offered a place.
||Monday 2 March 2020||Thursday 16 April 2020|
|Deadline for the receipt of appeals.||Monday 30 March 2020||Monday 1 June 2020|
|Deadline for appeals to be heard.||Wednesday 17 June 2020||Friday 17 July 2020|
|Appeals will be heard between:||Monday 4 May 2020 and Wednesday 17 June 2020||Monday 15 June 2020 and Friday 17 July 2020|
- Appeals in respect of late applications, i.e. those received by the admission authority after the deadline for receipt of applications in the normal round of admissions, will generally be heard within 30 school days of the appeal being received by the Clerk to the Education Appeals Panel (the Clerk).
- Appeals in respect of in-year applications, i.e. those for admission to a year group which is not the normal year of entry, for example Year 1 or Year 8, or appeals submitted after the start of the school year, will be heard within 30 school days of receipt by the Clerk.
- Appeals received by the Clerk will be acknowledged in writing within 5 working days. If you have not received an acknowledgement within 7 days of submitting your appeal form please contact the Clerk, using the details below.
- Appellants (the person(s) lodging an appeal) will be advised in writing of the date, time and venue of the appeals panel which has been appointed to hear their appeal at least 10 school days before the hearing.
- Appellants and the admission authority must provide the Clerk with any documents they wish to submit to the panel no later than 6 working days before the date of the appeals panel hearing.
- At least 5 working days before the hearing all the documentary evidence to be considered at the meeting will be sent to all parties.
- All parties will be advised, wherever possible, of the panel’s decision in writing within 5 school days of the conclusion of the appeals panel hearing.
Appeal a decision
For further information please contact:
The Clerk to the Education Appeals Panel
c/o Democratic Services
3rd Floor Left
The Silverlink North
Cobalt Business Park
Tel: (0191) 643 5316 or 5313 or 5315 or 5359