What is an apprenticeship?
- Anyone over 16 years old and not in full-time education can apply for an apprenticeship.
- Apprenticeships give an opportunity to work for a real employer - earn a real salary and gain a real qualification whilst gaining valuable workplace skills and experience.
- All apprenticeships include elements of on-the-job and off-the-job training leading to industry recognised standards or qualifications. Some apprenticeships also require an assessment at the end of the programme to assess the apprentice`s ability and competence in their job role.
- Apprenticeships are available at various levels covering more than 170 industries and 1500 job roles
- The minimum wage for apprentices is £3.70 per hour, this rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. However many employers pay more than this. This is dependant on the sector, region and apprenticeship level.
Benefits of being an Apprentice
- after finishing, the majority of apprentices (85%) will stay in employment, with two-thirds (64%) staying with the same employer
- a third (32%) of all former apprentices had received a promotion within 12 months of finishing - of those in work three quarters (75%) reported taking on more responsibilities in their job
- employers think that qualified apprentices are 15% more employable than those with other qualifications
* Source: National Apprenticeship Service
There are a number of accredited organisations who deliver apprenticeship training within North Tyneside. The following list is not exhaustive.
If you need to find a trainer in a particular job or industry area you can do so by searching the Find an apprenticeship website.
North Tyneside Council – Employment and Skills
North Tyneside Council manages an in-house training programme covering a wide range of subject areas.
Tyne Metropolitan College
TyneMet offers a wide programme of vocational training from beauty therapy to sports development.
Barnardo's Palmersville Training
Barnardo's Palmersville Training has delivered work based learning for over 25 years; creating opportunities to enable individuals reach their full potential, and enhance their future prospects and job opportunities.
Lomax Training Services Ltd
Lomax is one of the UK’s leading training organisations for the energy and utility industry and related skills.
Northumbria Youth Action ltd
NYA is a small charity based in North Shields offering training in motor vehicle and bicycle related skills.
Tyne North Training
Tyne North Training has a 40 year history supporting engineering and manufacturing apprenticeships and work based development.
TDR Training Ltd delivers Apprenticeship and People Development programmes in both Engineering and Science disciplines. This includes among other subjects Electrical Maintenance, CNC Programming and Manufacturing subject areas.