North Tyneside Council is working to achieve the equality aims of the 2010 Equality Act.
We aim to:
- eliminate unlawful discrimination, victimisation and harassment
- advance equality of opportunity
- foster good relations
We are working to:
- minimise disadvantage
- take steps to meet the needs of people from protected groups
- encourage those from protected groups to take part where their participation is proportionately low
In addition, in order to fulfil the Public Sector Equality Duty, we have published:
- appropriate and proportionate information through our equality review documents
- our equality objectives
We also carry out Equality Impact Assessments on proposals to assess their potential impact on people with different characteristics.
This policy sets out how North Tyneside Council seeks to:
- ensure compliance with the 2010 Equality Act and Public Sector Equality Duty,and thereby
- achieve its aim that North Tyneside is a place where people feel safe and no one experiences discrimination or disadvantage because of their characteristics, background or personal circumstances.