Private sector housing renewal: Financial assistance
You can find our policy on private sector housing renewal below. The policy is currently under review and at present other than the provision of disabled facilities grants, home improvement loans or grants are not currently being funded. However proposals for a new scheme are being developed.
Any enquiries with regard to financial assistance to bring homes to a decent homes standard, to carry out repairs or improvements will be held on file. Information will be provided when funding becomes available.
Financial assistance for disabled facility adaptations or, for owners to relocate from homes that are no longer suitable are available subject to eligibility.
Other eligible works could include:
- conversion of shops or flats into single family homes
- bringing homes that have stood empty for over six months back into use
- energy efficiency improvements
Eligibility for all financial assistance is means tested.
Safe and healthy homes
If your home is affecting your health our we can provide advice and guidance to help to resolve health-related housing issues and improve physical / mental health through referrals to relevant services and organisations.
We can provide information or advice on:
- heating issues, energy bills and fuel poverty
- damp and mould
- home safety - hazards and clutter
- outstanding repairs
- fire safety
We accept referrals from both professionals and residents.
To make a referral complete the online form in the Safe and healthy homes section.
You can also contact us at:
Safe and Healthy Homes
Telephone: (0191) 643 7585
Disabled facilities grants
From the 1st April 2018 a new policy is in place for Disabled Facilities Grants which is available to download.
Disabled Facilities Grants are:
- Mandatory grants for essential works to meet the disabled persons needs and that are reasonable and practicable, depending on the age and condition of the property.
- Available to owner occupiers and private tenants who have been referred to the Council following assessment of their medical needs by an occupational therapist or other appropriately qualified professional.
- Available up to a maximum grant of £40,000 (£30,000 National Grant plus £10,000 local discretionary grant).
- Discretionary grant of up to £10,000 available, subject to the applicant meeting savings criteria of less than £20,000
- Means tested based on income and capital of the disabled person and their spouse according to government regulations
Other financial assistance considerations
Other financial assistance considerations:
- In determining whether financial assistance is appropriate we will take into consideration relevant legislation and Government Codes of Practice and principles of best value.
- We may consider that a grant is inappropriate or not suitable. In such circumstances we will try to provide advice on any other alternative course of action.
- In extreme cases consideration may be given to closure, demolition or compulsory purchase of a property.
- We may consider taking other appropriate enforcement action. If we do so any action will be in accordance with our corporate enforcement policy (see below).
- The appropriate parts of the Housing Grants Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 and associated legislation will continue to form part of our policy.
- Any grant that was approved prior to the 1st April 2010 will continue to be dealt with under the terms of the previous policy.
- It is the owners responsibility to maintain their property and the council will continue to encourage owners, occupiers and landlords to maintain their property, we will try to provide verbal and written advice and produce periodic information leaflets wherever possible.
Further information on all types of housing renewal assistance is available at Helping Hands.
For help with financial assistance contact:
Environmental Health Housing
North Tyneside Council
Telephone: (0191) 6436100
For help with disabled facilities grants assessments and adaptations contact:
Occupational Therapy Service Desk
Telephone: 0844 811 8111: Extension 2410
For help with energy efficiency measures such as cavity wall or loft insulation contact:
Telephone: 0800 0199 969 or text 'warm' to 80800