Discretionary Housing Payments

What are Discretionary Housing Payments?

You may be eligible to receive extra payments called Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP).

You may get these if you already receive Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit but find this does not cover the full amount of your rent and you need financial assistance to pay your rent or you need help to move to more affordable accommodation.

DHPs are available to help claimants on a short term basis only — they are not payments of Housing Benefit.

We can award DHPs to:

  • help you through a personal crisis
  • ensure you can stay in your home
  • help you avoid poverty

How much we award, and how long we will pay this for, depends on your personal circumstances. Each case is looked at individually.

How to apply

You can claim by completing our online Discretionary Housing Payments application form below.

Make a Claim

Related documents