You are here

Support for children at school

Mainstream and Academy Schools

Classroom scene

All mainstream and academy schools support children and young people with  special educational needs and disabilities. Each school has a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), a teacher who is responsible for Special Educational Needs. Each school also publishes an annual SEN Information Report explaining the support provided to children with SEN. You can find these reports on the school’s website.

Find out more, see

Special Schools

Special schools cater for students with special educational needs. These may include learning disabilities or physical disabilities. Pupils at a special school have an Education Health and Care Plan.

Additional Resourced Provision

Some mainstream schools receive additional money to provide places for children and young people with specific special educational needs. This provision is known as Additional Resourced Provision (ARP). Places in ARPS are usually for pupils with an Education, Health Care (EHC) Plan.

Related documents

Moorbridge Pupil Referral Unit

Moorbridge Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) welcomes pupils in KS3 and KS4 from across the Borough of North Tyneside when they are unable to continue to attend their present school. This may be because they are permanently excluded, at risk of this, struggling to maintain attendance because of anxiety or crisis, be new to the area and have Special Educational Needs.

Hospital and Home Tuition

Home & Hospital Tuition service is a short term intervention for those students who are not able to attend school for medical or mental health reasons. Home & Hospital Tuition aims to support students to stay in a routine, keep up to date with their work and reintegrate back to their mainstream school.


Related documents

Specialist Support Services

Educational Psychologists
Educational Psychologists (EPs) are specially trained in assessing children and young people’s educational needs and offering advice on how they can be supported in school. EPs work with individual children, school staff and parents, either individually, in small groups or with whole staff teams. Referrals are usually made by the staff in your child’s school or setting.


Educational Psychology Service
Telephone: (0191) 643 8739 

Language and Communication Team
This team is staffed by specialist teachers and specialist support assistants who provide advice, support and teaching strategies for pupils with specific language and communication needs in a variety of educational settings. These include children with social communication difficulties and autism spectrum disorders.


Language and Communication Team
Telephone: (0191) 643 2947

Sensory Service
The Sensory Service at Service at Beacon Hill provides support to children and young people with a visual and/or hearing loss. This support and advice is available from the point of diagnosis through school until the young person leaves education or reaches the age of 25.


Sensory Service
Telephone: (0191) 643 3030

Dyslexia Team
The Dyslexia Team is based at Southlands School.


Dyslexia Team
Telephone: (0191) 200 1012

Independent Special Schools and Colleges

You can find information about approved independent schools and special post-16 institutions in the North East below.

Find information about all approved independent schools and special post-16 institutions in the North East, or in the whole of England and Wales.

You can also find a full directory of Specialist Colleges on the NATSPEC website.



Parent Carer Forum

North Tyneside Parent Carer Forum logo

SEND feedback

Give us your feedback

Tell us what you think about the Local Offer.

Give feedback

SIGN directory

SIGN logo

SIGN North Tyneside Directory

Share this page