You are here

What is Universal Credit?


Universal Credit is a Government working age benefit. It is applied for online and replaces the following state benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

As Universal Credit is a working age benefit, it is payable from 18 years up to Pension Credit qualifying age. It can also be paid to 16 and 17 year olds in limited circumstances.

More information and further help with understanding Universal Credit can be found here.

GOV.UK's State Pension calculator can advise when a person will become pensionable age.

Universal Credit in North Tyneside

Universal Credit became available in North Tyneside from 23 November 2015, initially for single jobseekers who would normally have made a new claim for Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance..

From 2 May 2018, Universal Credit will be fully rolled out in North Tyneside. It will be available to all those making a new claim for the working age benefits it is replacing. 

If you have already been receiving Universal Credit during the Universal Credit Live Service, carry on as normal until you are contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions. Once you have been contacted, you should carry out any given instructions to prevent payments from being stopped.

Couples and families

If you are part of a couple and you and your partner live in the same household, you will have to make a joint claim for Universal Credit. You will need the details of both you and your partner to complete an application.

If you are part of a couple where one member is of Pension Credit qualifying age, you may be better off claiming Pension Credits. Contact the local Citizens Advice Bureau for more information and advice

Universal Credit and Council Tax Support

Universal Credit will not replace Council Tax support as the council will still administer this.

If you claim Universal Credit you will still need to make a claim for Council Tax support.

Share this page