Universal Credit payments

How much Universal Credit will be paid?

Entitlement depends on individual circumstances such as:

  • income
  • savings
  • age
  • family circumstances
  • disabilities, or if carers benefits are being paid
  • the amount of rent charged

Universal Credit can be paid if you are in or out of work, as long as you are still entitled. The actual amount will change as income changes.

Calculate how much you could get at GOV.UK.

How is Universal Credit paid?

Universal Credit is paid calendar monthly in arrears. It is also paid direct into the claimant's bank, building society or credit union account. This means, if you do not already have an account you will need to open one. 

For further information on bank accounts, visit the Money Advice Service

For couples, you will receive one payment into your chosen bank account that covers entitlement for both you and your partner. Split payments between you and your partner can be requested in certain circumstances. This is called an Alternative Payment Arrangement.

Other Alternative Payment Arrangements include more frequent payments and having your housing cost contribution paid direct to your landlord. 

You can discuss Alternative Payment Arrangements with your Work Coach.

See also:

Related documents

Your first payment

You will normally have to wait around 5 weeks for your first Universal Credit payment then after that you should receive it every calendar month.

Help available whilst your claim is being processed

You can ask your jobcentre Work Coach for a Universal Credit advance whilst waiting for your first payment.

They will decide how much you can get. The maximum would be up to 100% of your due Universal Credit payment. This would be paid back by reducing your future Universal Credit payments for up to 12 months.

If you have been on Universal Credit for 6 months you can also claim a budgeting advance from the Jobcentre to meet expenses such as household equipment.

To get advice on what help is available contact:

Universal Credit Helpline:
Telephone: 0800 328 5644.

To find out more about advance payments see:

Advance payments are discretionary and don’t carry a right of appeal but you can ask for reconsideration if you are unhappy with the decision.

Help with housing costs

The housing element of Universal Credit, which replaces Housing Benefit, will be paid direct to you as part of your Universal Credit monthly payment. You will be responsible for using this money to pay rent to your landlord yourself.

You will no longer make a claim to the council for help towards your rent, although you will still need to claim Council Tax Support from the Council for help towards your Council Tax.

For further information on help with housing costs, visit GOV.UK.

If you are a North Tyneside Council tenant, you can pay your rent here.

You may be eligible to receive extra help with housing costs with a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). Find out what DHPs are and how to apply here.